*This post may have affiliate links
As I have transitioned into motherhood, there are things that make life simpler and make your baby happy. Knowing your child and what they like, even in the early days, can really help with getting time to relax and have a happy baby throughout the day. I wasn’t the biggest coffee drinker, but a mom needs the energy to be running at 100%. I have learned that even if I have school work, this blog, or Conscious Talk Magazine responsibilities, they will not get done if Xander is not happy and remains fussy throughout the day.
- A Coffee Maker
- I would assume most have a coffee maker, but if not, having one that you can preset for the morning is amazing! My husband is a coffee snob and only buys the best and we ended up getting Cuisinart CHW-12 Coffee Plus 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Hot Water System, Black/Stainless. That coffee maker has been the best thing for both of us. Jak gets to make his coffee in the morning (we get up at 5:30 am) and if I am in the mood for tea instead, the hot water system on the side is perfect for that, or even just making oatmeal quickly in the morning when on the go.
- A Bouncer
- Xander loves his bouncer. He loves sitting and looking around, looking at the mobile and just watching the room around him. If he gets fussy I simply rock the bouncer and he soon falls asleep. We have this bouncer, Skip Hop Uplift Multi-Level Adjustable Bouncer, Grey. The multi-level is really great for adjusting for different table heights, and it’s easily portable. Aside from Xander wanting to lay next to me on the couch, the bouncer is his favorite place to be during the day while I work.
- A Wipe Warmer
- There are babies who are fine with cold wipes and other who hate them. Wipe warmers can make changing your baby a much quicker and easier process. When the baby is happy they aren’t squirming and shrieking at the shock of a cold wipe. We got the Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer and the Munchkin Diaper Duty Organizer,Green so changing is a breeze! Xander doesn’t fuss, and the organization makes it easier to just grab the wipes or the diaper and visually helps to see what you’re running low on.
- A Bottle Warmer
- We use formula in our household, and when we aren’t using powdered formula, we are using liquid and the Philips AVENT Bottle Warmer, Fast has been great, especially when Xander is starting to fuss. The bottle warmer is quick and efficient. Our son Xander hates waiting for a bottle and will shriek if the bottle isn’t ready in the first five minutes, so the warmer has been a lifesaver!
- White Noise
- Babies love white noise and it keeps them calm. Xander, if he is fussy, calms within minutes once I turn on the Skip Hop Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother-Owl, Multi. The little owl lights up the ceiling with stars and a moon and has music options and different types of white noise. And yes, the different types of white noise affect babies in different ways. I usually put the water sound on and Xander instantly calms. It’s been the best thing for me to get my work done during the day.
- A Baby Monitor
- We got the Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens. As moms, we are usually running around the house doing work, laundry, cooking, and more. Having this monitor has been so helpful for me to allow me to get things done. The monitor has a zoom feature, night vision, and you can mount it on the wall to get a better view of the room. You can also buy more camera’s and add it to the system and check different rooms. I can tell you that having the monitor while being upstairs cooking allows me to be able to make sure Xander doesn’t need me and is sleeping peacefully or allows me to see that the cats are being good and respecting Xander’s space instead of jumping in his bassinet with him!
Yes yes yes to the coffee maker!!!!
Also, my monitor was a savior when I returned back to work because it had remote access. I could still peak in from work and it made me feel SO much better if I had to work late.
Yes! Coffee is my new best friend! And before we got our monitor I was too scared to go to the bathroom to shower, so I made sure my husband was watching our son until I was done showering! 😛
Hi Savannah! These are a few of my must haves when my little guy was small as well. For us, the white noise maker was huge. It totally helped him go to sleep even if he was cranky. I also found having a baby carrier very helpful. My son loved being walked around in his carrier.
I don’t know what I would have done without the bouncer… one of the most useful things in the early months! You can be hands-free yet have baby near you at all times:)
Yes, I second the white noise machine! It definitely made my life easier when I had a baby.
The bouncer and monitor were essential for my two. As far as coffee, I was never a coffee drinker until I had kids, lol.
I couldnt agree more with the bouncer, it worked so well with both my children.
P.S I love the name Xander! My son is called Xavier 🙂
Yes, the bouncer is the best. We actually were thinking of Xavier as well but ended up going with Xander. Xavier is a handsome name!